Tuesday, May 29, 2007

Multiple Nationalities

Recently had to get a Schengen Visa to be able to travel to Europe and the whole thing is a bloody chore.
Every day in the newspapers I read about the visa problems of Indian Nationals in UK (HSMP problem) and the US (H1-B). More and more Indians are migrating out of India (Read Rashmi Bansals blog on Migration)
I guess coming from a third world country has its fair share of problems, especially when travelling to first world countries, even though you have no desire to migrate illegally. (Sure many of my desi readers might identify with that)

Every time I have been waiting in the queue for a visa I have cursed the firangs (especially the Americans who can seem to go anywhere without a visa and now I guess its the same with EU Nationals, Canadians, Australians and New Zealanders)

At the other end of the spectrum are guys with dual passports.
And yes many of my colleagues fall in this category.
Brazlian and German, Algerian and English, American and English, Russian and English, Romanian and English, Bulgarian and American, German and American and the king of them all,
3 nationalities, English, South African and American.
Damn damn damn. This enables them to travel to many countries without any issues.

But the question arises, whom do they feel loyal to? Now its unlikely that these countries go at war against one another, but whom do they support during soccer matches?

Take the case of this person.
Born to German parents, in Ghana (you know this diplomats children) and raised in Turkey, India, and other parts of the world. Studied in America, and works in London and is married to a French lady.
Where does he belong?

His accent is a confusing mid-atlantic one (some where between British and American) and I dont know what national anthem would their children sing.

Right now since India doesnt give dual citizenships many Indians give up their nationality. Having friends who are contemplating giving up their Indian Passports, an act I cannot imagine doing right now. (who knows what happens in the future though :P )
I guess it is like selling your soul to the wild capitalist west (as if I havent by working for them)

Is the queue and hassle of Visa interviews that painful that you give up your nationality?
I guess Lakshmi Mittal who has been living outside India for more than 2 decades still holds and Indian Passport, I am sure we all can manage it.

Inspite of all the caste politics, the pandering of vote banks, the stupid subsidies, the rampant corruption, crumbling infrastructure, excessive crowds, loads of poverty, humungous amounts of filth, retrograde bollywood movies, even more regressive television serials, a joke of a cricket team (not to mention other sports), ruled by a party of sycophants, I still am proud to be an Indian, and Indian I shall remain. (for the time being atleast)

I saw the movie "The Namesake" which shows the life of the Desi Immigrants in the US. People who leave everything they have to go in search of the great American dream. A house in the suburbs with a backyard and a 2 car garage. The immigrants there take up US citizenship just so their children can have a good future. In todays materialistic times, I am sure its the worst reasons.

In the UK Lord Tebitt proposed the Tebitt test, that the country you support in sports (e.g. cricket) when your adopted country plays the country of your origin.

Suprisingly in the UK, most second as well as third generation immigrants support the homeland of their ancestors (India, Pakistan, Bangladesh or Sri Lanka) during cricket matches.
I guess it has as much to do with the social acceptances of children at school i guess. If you are not counted as british by the brits, then why would you support them?

Nevertheless I have rambled long enough, and atleast for a few years (while I am away from my homeland) I shall keep living this existential dilemma

No comments: